Week 6 Of Our 10 Week Grocery Budget Challenge!

Posted by on August 5, 2013

image

We have completed WEEK 6 of our 10 Week Grocery Budget Challenge! We are OVER HALF WAY DONE! If you’d like to learn more about this challenge, go HERE!

***Here’s the secret to staying in your budget, menu plan based on what you already own and what is on sale. This way you don’t buy anything that isn’t on sale. Hope that helps!

My NEW budget for this challenge is $30 per week! Here’s the breakdown of what I spent and saved:

NEW Budget: $30 per week

Total Spent: $28.14, Saved: at least $122.24!!!

clip_image002

Spent $11.12 at Walmart, see shopping trip HERE.

Spent $10.02 at WinCo, bought apples, bread, yogurt, coleslaw mix, bananas, and bread

Spent $7.00 at 99 Cent Store, see shopping trip HERE.

Spent –$.53 at CVS (after ECB) at CVS, see shopping trip HERE.

How did you do??? If you are participating in this 10 week challenge let us know what your NEW budget is and what you spent this week on groceries in the comment section below.

I will keep track each week with how you all do, and at the end of our 10 week challenge (1) person will win a surprise prize pack from me!

Comments

12 Responses to “Week 6 Of Our 10 Week Grocery Budget Challenge!”
  1. Johanna says:

Aimee, you are my hero. You did amazingly well this week, and I really struggled. We’ve eaten our way through most of our freezer, and my family is losing patience with me not buying as many “extras”.

I’m not sure if I’ll be able to continue this through week 10, but for what it’s worth, here is my week’s outcome: budget $80 + $33.11 rollover from last week = $113.11 spent $125.03 including stock-up on diapers, wipes, dog food and hubby’s last minute demand for 30 vitamin waters yesterday. Overall, I saved 65%

• Aimee says:

Don’t give up! You are still doing great, and I LOVE your effort! Keep trucking through. What has really been helping me is buying more produce. We are eating way more produce than anything and we are keeping meals simple. Protein, carb, and veggies for dinner. Simple and healthy. Let me know if I can help in any way :)

• Johanna says:

Thank you for your encouragement! I will focus my budget this week on restocking meats & buying produce. Good plan!

2. Kelly A. says:

Hey, Aimee. This is off topic, but did you know that there was a store “Superior “Grocers” in town? I had no idea. I was just looking for something else online when I came across their location @ 2100 White Lane. I just took a look at their ad, and it looks like they even beat Vallarta on some produce prices, which I price match at Walmart too. I’m not in their area to get the flyer in the mail, but my Walmart will take an online printed ad for PM-ing too. Here is the link to the ad if you want to see too! http://www.superiorgrocers.com/Ad2/tabid/96/Default.aspx

3. Catherine says:

I made freezer meals last week and had a two week combined budget of $150 and I had $35 left to spend this week. I spent $38.78 so not bad :) I really like having freezer meals!

4. Chele says:

I’m so glad Johanna posted what she did. It helps to know that others are struggling to meet the Challenge. In reviewing June and July, I was shocked to see that we really spend more than I thought we did. When I started this Challenge I thought we were spending $65/week, but in looking back on my receipts, I see we were really spending $75 to $85 weekly. No wonder I’ve had difficulty getting our grocery and personal item spending under control!
    Aimee, I like your idea of increasing produce in our meals. Already I can see the cost benefit from my own garden of tomatoes, cucs, and squash. So, this week I’m determined to spend absolutely no more than $60 on everything, including my Winco bulk items for my stockpile. I feel like I’m just now really getting the hang of this challenge. The fact that I tallied all my expenditures for 2 months is a step forward for me. I want/need to slash our spending so much. I wish this Challenge could have a ‘redo’ after the first 10 wks!

• Aimee says:

Awww, well I’m super proud of you! Before I started couponing I did not pay attention to receipts or my spending and wow it really makes a HUGE difference. Keep up the good work and know I’m here if you have any questions. :)

5. Anna says:

Well, this week i spent 75$ because my husband and i split up and did shopping at different stores. We underestimated the cost of a few things he picked up, but that put us over by 15$ after everything was done. I am amazed at how we are doing with all the tips from this site. Thanks Aimee!!

P.S: i found two lbs of Dole bananas at the .99 cent store yesterday. Great deal!

• Anna says:

(It doesn’t hurt that our neighbor gave us a lot of peaches from her peach tree, and we grow our own tomatoes, lemons, and oranges). Grow your own and SAVE!!! :-)

6. Andrea G. says:

I only spent $10.19 last week…I knew we were going out of town for 3 days though so I hardly bought anything so it wouldn’t go to waste sitting in the fridge. I will definitely need to use the left over $30 I didn’t spend last week though. I try not to use the leftover money from previous weeks if I don’t have to, but we were out of almost everything! Being vegetarian, I don’t buy meat, but I need to do a bulk run this week of beans and quinoa and I will have to start stocking up on snacks for my girls for back to school.

Thanks so much for this challenge, it has really made me push myself to get great deals!